Friday, June 1, 2012

Wk1 - Comment Entry #2

Month 11 Blog: Week 1 Copyright Post: by Tobin Herringshaw
Here is the link to Tobin's awesome audio post and below are my comments :-)


I love seeing how creative you always are! Thank you for including an audio post. I will have to give this a try in the future.

I can totally understand how your students would side with Girl Talk in the notion that he is creating unique expressions or products. I find this hard to decipher as well. At what point is someone really lifting music material and putting it into their own work and when are they just being inspired by another’s work? How is that moment/amount determined? There are no cut and dry answers…they are all grey.

You are so right about the technology enhancing what other creators will do. Technology can support and enhance creativity, bringing the ideas of visionaries into reality. I think about Star Wars IV. Lucas found ways to use technology to bring his dreams and stories to life. You can see how over the years, technology has continued to play an ever growing role in story telling. I don’t believe Avatar or Lord of the Rings could be told with the same effect without CGI animation.

Ok, back to copyright issues…Yes, I think Girl Talk is “standing on the shoulders of giants”. This is not unusual. Even the most innovative thinkers are using what they have learned and experienced in their creations. We are bound to borrow, share, and manipulate what others put out there. The challenge is in defining the line at which it was “your” work and is now “my” work. Another challenge is getting our students to embrace their own creativity and become the giants on which others will stand :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment