Friday, June 1, 2012

Wk 1 - Comment Entry #1

My Response to Pete's Post
Wow! This is the way to have a great conversation.

The only clear point is that there are no clear-cut answers or one size fits all solutions. I was at a conference last week where we discussed copyright, patent, and trademark in relation to genetics and personalized medicine. Companies and research facilities need to be encouraged to spend the money necessary to fund the research and development of new treatments and technologies, but how do we craft laws that provide protections while allowing others to explore the same part of the genome. (There I go being a science nerd again.)

Copyright in relation to media is a bit trickier and seems to be more of an issue in places where access to media is ubiquitous. Again the need to provide the original creator with some benefit from their creation needs to be balanced with the encouragement of creativity and the development of cultural expression.

Overall, since the waters get quite a bit muddied (as evidenced throughout the videos), a thoughtful solution is needed, I think, that makes this issue come to a resolve.  The solution is somewhere around the pay annually, use annually idea that you mention. I would also like to know where I can purchase a subscription to your music...I plan to pay :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment