Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Wk 3 - Reading Entry

Leading from any Chair, Rule #6, the Way Things Are, and Giving Way to Passion all present information that is true and helpful, but in no way unique or new to me.
I challenge my students every year to fully participate in class. I encourage them to question not just the scientific content, but the text itself and also my discussion and presentation. I want them to be empowered to fully participate in their learning and transition from elementary/middle school learning of reading, memorizing, and then repeating what they learned on a test. I hope to help them find ways to inquire, wonder, and explore their world and not just rely on another source to impart knowledge to them.
In order for me to truly welcome the questioning I encourage, I always need to remember not to take myself too seriously. I have become comfortable telling the students when I don't know the answer to a question. I give them ideas for resources for them to research the answer and ask them to share what they learn with the class. I do not find this a failure of teaching, rather I would have enjoyed having more teachers in my academic experience who could have admitted that they didn't know instead of dismissing my questions. I feel this demonstrates to my students that we are all still learning and working together to discover new information.
This give and take in my class keeps me interested and excited to teach the same subject year after year. The experience in my class is never the same and there are new scientific discoveries all the time. It is easy to be passionate about what I do. I love working with teenagers who are really craving to be engaged.
We start off as "one buttock" students...remember being that 5 year old who can barely keep their seat as your hand pumps in the air with an "oh, oh, oh" because you had the answer or a burning question? Over the years, we are taught to sit in our seat, raise our hand appropriately, and be quiet so you will be called upon. On the contrary, I want my students compelled to answer or ask questions. I love seeing their interest in a subject ignited so that they sit up straight and their hand shoots in the air...in many cases my students will blurt out answers or respond to each other directly. For many this may seem like chaos in a classroom, but in not taking myself too seriously, I know how controlled chaos can create a dynamic learning environment.

4 comments:

  1. MAC Week 3 - Response to Rebecca Girard –

    Every week I continue to read this book as per our assignment. I procrastinate to late in the week before I pick up the book. As with all of us, there is so much to do and so little time. Learning about “unlimited possibilities” seems fruitless at the time. However, once picked up, I usually don’t stop reading until the end of the assignment. You bring up some interesting points.

    First, telling your students that you don’t know the answer. I am a firm believer in this. I would always tell my students that I don’t know everything. I would share that part of being “smart” is knowing how to use your resources. If a concept came up and I didn’t know the answer, I offered some ideas on how we could gain more information. Sometimes, delving into the unknown proved dangerous in a High School. Let’s just say, I learned a lot as well. Some things, I will never forget, no matter how hard I try. Regardless, learning occurred.

    I also appreciate keeping our teaching fresh. I believe I have mentioned this before and I think we feel the same way. It takes more effort, but it is far more fruitful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebecca I love your point of not taking yourself too seriously.I have been in my classroom and realized that I need to take a breath and let go of whatever it maybe. Challenging,supporting and building self-esteem in all students are my goals. At times that means I need to not take myself too seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca it was good to hear about students jumping out of their seats to answer questions. I think it is easy to get stuck in the routine where we make our students quietly raise their hands to give an answer. I know that I do it. I don't think I even mean to but it feels like what is to be expected. It is good to think that our students are so excited to give an answer that they can't stay still. Something that makes me laugh is the response that students have had drilled into them from kindergarten up. "Friends give friends time to think." While this is important since not all students are open enough to shout out the answer, it is good to have times when students can be thrilled to respond and not have to keep it inside any longer. This is the passion we should be teaching to our students.

    I also liked that you talked about not knowing all of the answers. I love to be able to send students to find their own inquiries. We talk about the fact that even though I am a teacher I don't know all the answers. It is the joy of being a life long learner. I try to turn it back to them and let them know that as good inquirers they can step up and find the answer. Then they have the joy of sharing it with the class and teaching the teacher something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca Girard, I really enjoyed reading your blog entry on your reading. “I have become comfortable telling the students when I didn’t know the answer to a question. “ Because I teach special education, I feel it is really important that the students know that no one knows everything and that is okay. What we really need to know is where our weak areas are and learn where to find the resources we need to assist us in getting the answer.

    I totally agree with you that we should have our students bursting at the seams to blurt out an answer. My students seldom raise their hands; I prefer a dialog rather than the “sage on the stage”.

    My Vice Principal has commented on my evaluations that I need to “teach” the students to raise their hands and wait to be called upon. Yuck! As you say, “I know how controlled chaos can crate a dynamic learning environment.” Besides, my kids are ADHD, they don’t have impulsivity control, (neither do I), why fight a losing battle?

    It is because of them I have altered the way I was taught and now I teach in an authentic way with the excitement and joy of discovery. Why hold that back?

    ReplyDelete