Thursday, June 14, 2012

Wk 4 - Reading Entry


It has been almost exactly a year since I began investigating the EMDT program at Full Sail. I had been thinking about a master’s degree for quite a long time, but I hadn’t found the right program. It had been quite a challenge to think about going to grad school, working, and raising a family at the same time, but when I learned about EMDT something just clicked. The chance to really dive into the technology that I want to incorporate into my classes was intriguing and to get the degree finished in a year made it sound possible.
Go Lovely Ladies!
I knew I had made the right decision during our first month. I found myself in a group of dedicated, creative, supportive, intelligent women doing something I never thought I would do…creating a project completely over the Internet. Plus, we were in Second Life!!! It was a thrilling experience and I am still so proud of our work on that first project together. 
Month 2 brought many more experiences and a new group. From the Princess Bride to the Wizard of Oz, The Matrix, Sound of Music, Star Wars…these gentlemen I have worked with have become more than just partners in projects even though we have only met through a phone line or computer screen. We have spent countless hours in our “Treehouse” or a Google Hangout creating, editing, venting, celebrating, joking, and laughing. We have challenged one another to do our best work.
 About 5 months ago I joked with my team about creating a documentary about our AR journeys with the idea that we all come from different places, but have been brought together and have completed some amazing work because of EMDT. Reading the last chapter of Art of Possibility reminded me of this brainstorm. We live in different parts of the country, work at different types of schools, teach different types of students and yet, we have, for some reason, been brought together.  We have been through so many challenges together academically, professionally, and personally. I am a faith-filled person who believes that God has a plan for each of us. The plan may be obscured, but in time, opportunities and reasons will be revealed. I wouldn’t change the difficulties, frustrations or late nights because it is through the successes and failures that we grow into who we are.  It is how we interact with others during times of challenge and times of success that develop our character. 

So sorry for the mushy blog post. I guess the book just got me thinking about how grateful I am for each member of this cohort who has journeyed with me through EMDT. I appreciate your support, encouragement, and feedback. I thank you for your patience and for clarifying assignments. I have been inspired by each of you as you have shared your passion for learning and teaching over the last 11 months. You have encouraged me to accomplish things I never imagined...writing a literature review, creating music on a computer, making a movie in 48 hours, and designing a project whose impact continues to make ripples in my school community. I truly look forward to meeting you in the real world in a short 7 weeks.

Our journey is almost over and I am sure there are still some challenges ahead, but I know that WE can do this…TOGETHER!

14 comments:

  1. Rebecca, I'm honored by your words. Thank you. Like you, I find it difficult to believe that we've only been in this program since August. As I sit here now, on the bed next to my napping daughter, I'm struck by the thought that she has grown up so much, but it still such a tiny, little, precious thing. Can you believe she's as old as this program is for us? We were in our first week of EMDT, the first Wimba of MLR, and I had to leave to take my wife to the hospital. And here we are now, ready to graduate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daniel, I remember thinking..."WHAT?!?!? He and his wife are having a baby and he is starting a master's program?!?!?!" In my mind it was a bold and foolish move, but you and Michele have been amazing. I have "hungout" with you while you walked laps around your house with a baby strapped to your chest, I have seen Michele in the background caring for Daniele during our marathon Treehouse gatherings and quietly placing her on your lap for Daddy-time, and I have been impressed through it all. The two of you are a remarkable team and Daniele is the living proof of all that you can accomplish together. I am so looking forward to meeting all three of you and celebrating Daniele's 1st birthday!!!

      Delete
  2. Rebecca,
    I am not really one for sentimentality, but you sure to convince with your "mushy post". It is quite interesting and amazing to look back at the 11 months and think of how little time, and yet, how far we gotten to know each other.

    As one of my other posts indicated, collaboration is one of the most powerful actions people can take in anything. Our Second Life Wizard of Oz proved this principle, as did our 48 hour projects, which were so awesome!

    And as much as I have a distaste for the mystical, one has to admit that it seems pretty fortuitous that the four of us (Pete, You, Daniel, and I) all connected in the second month. Einstein once indicated that god didn't play dice with the universe, but I'm thinking maybe he just used weighted dice, because our friendship and group dynamic seems to be fated or at least well planned.

    I'm honored to know you, work with you, and soon, to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it is something else :-)...
      For my ally is the Force, and a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you; here, between you, me, the tree, the rock, everywhere, yes.

      Delete
  3. Rebecca,
    I couldn't have said it better. I do believe, like you, that God does have a plan for us. Our coming together in this program has always seemed like one of those realizations. I remember Daniel having to leave our Wimba session in the first month to see the birth of his daughter. I remember Tobin meeting with us on the steps of a college so he could get better wireless reception. I will always recall how happy I was that you reached out to join our group in month 2; you were the missing piece of our crazy puzzle. All of these things have felt like a divine meeting and I am forever grateful for it.

    It is just the beginning of many wonderful things. I echo the words of the apostle Paul, "All things work together for the good of those who love God, for those who are called according to His purpose." I can only smile and anticipate what else is up ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will use the words of St. Julie Billiart, the Foundress of the Sisters of Notre Dame..."“The good God can give more than our idea can ever conceive. The whole thing is to have great confidence in the good God.”

      Delete
  4. Rebecca,

    I've already commented on your leadership reflection post! It was so inspirational! This post is so adorable, inspiring, motivational, and mushy!! I enjoyed going through this journey with you and each of my cohorts! I have been quiet, but vocal when needed to be! I have gained so much from you all and I enjoy all of the various styles of leadership, fun, and communication! This book has also inspired me to reflect and appreciate what I've learned and done throughout this process! We have accomplished so much, the best is yet to come!! I'm excited about meeting you and the rest of our classmates!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tamarah, you always seem to say/write the right thing at the right time. I appreciate how you choose your moments and I am happy to be the recipient of your words. August 3 is going to be a great day!

      Delete
    2. Thank You Rebecca!! I appreciate you as well!! Thanks a billion!!

      Delete
  5. Rebecca Girard - You definitely have a way with words. :) It's been an honor working with your this year. I am lucky to have been one of the first members to work with you in our EMDT program. As a fellow "Lovely Lady," I want to thank you for everything that you have done for me this year, both, as a classmate and as a friend. Even though we are just an hour or so apart, we still haven't seemed to manage to meet up. I'm sorry for that. I can't make it to graduation, but I'm sure we will be seeing each other at some point. :)

    It's crazy to know that each of us live in different parts of the world, teaching different student populations, and just as you said... we are all connected by this program. All of our struggles and triumphs have brought us this far and we still continue to try to change the education worlds around us. This was our spark... our possibility. Now, we spread the word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so disappointed that you will not be there for graduation, but we are tech wizards! I know it will be 5:30am, but do you want to be on a phone or Skype or FaceTime? Just say the word and I will find a way to have you there :-)
      Aside from graduation, please promise me that we will meet! I will definitely have a bit more time in my schedule once graduation has past. You know where to fine me online, it would be so awesome to meet in person!

      Delete
  6. Rebecca - You are such a gifted writer. You have brought a sense of calm and serenity to the chaos of each month. It has been a pleasure to work with you and interact with you each week. I remember the very first video you created (your Bio) and when I watched it I thought, "I am really out of my league!" And as skilled as you are, you are not haughty or pretentious. I really admire that about you. I'm looking forward to meeting you and enjoying an adult beverage (first round on me, second on Pete!) with you. Thanks for your walk down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I cherish your words. Your compliment about bringing calm and serenity is amazing...I don't know how often I felt that way, but I do try to bring that to others when things get crazy. My parents have said this about me from when I was a little child in a house full of kids. Maybe that is why I like teaching teenage girls...talk about drama and a place where a little calm is always welcome! I know that you were very nervous starting this program and doubted your skills, but I have repeatedly been impressed by your tenacity, creativity and ingenuity. You are making amazing ripples in your classroom that I know extend even further as other teachers are certain to admire the challenges you have faced and conquered with incredible success. I am looking forward to our beverages...hmmm, I'll have to think about my order :-)

      Delete
  7. No need to apologize for sharing your experiences and feelings. Obviously, by the number of responses from your classmates, they share in your passion and discovery. Thanks for sharing and being part of this community of learners and leaders.

    ReplyDelete