Thursday, November 3, 2011

PE1_iMovie

Movie Making 101

I was a die hard PC person until my school gave each of the teachers a Mac laptop about 8 years ago.


 This was the best apple this teacher had ever received and from that moment on I was hooked. Apple has an amazing way of making you look like a rockstar
with very little know how.
iMovie is no exception.

I had heard about iMovie, but I was never interested in learning how to use it. I am not sure why. I guess I was always allowing my overwhelmingly busy teaching schedule to stop me from learning how to use a technology that, at the time, I could see how to use in my class. I had never been presented with concrete example of how to incorporate the application into my lessons. I had never even opened the application until our first week in the program. The very first assignment was to create a 1 minute bio. I opened iMovie and found the magic of the trailer template. The most challenging part was finding video clips. Even though it was simple to use and learn, it still took me almost 2 hours to make my first trailer. The second trailer took 40 mins...speed much improved!

After watching the first part of the iMovie tutorial, I was left questioning why we waited until month 4 to take advantage of Lynda.com to learn this application. The lessons would have been so helpful and would have saved me hours of frustration and fumbling with learning the program on my own.

 In 30 mins, Garrick Chow had taken me through the importing of videos using various cameras and formats and introduced me to the iMovie interface. He demonstrated how to create event, add clips to a project and also showed what the toolbar icons meant. After 3 months in the program, none of this was new to me. I have come quite a long way from my first 1 minute trailer. My first feature film was created during month 2, week 2. In MLT, we were to present a classroom visit from a brain based learning expert. Yes, Eric Jensen came to my class! If you've got the time, check it out.

I was feeling completely confident with all the content Garrick had presented so far and was anxious to move along to topics that would be new to me.




No comments:

Post a Comment