Saturday, November 5, 2011

BP4 - Study Blue

More on Web 2.0

My Action Research project is focused on developing a collaborative environment for faculty to discuss and share ways to incorporate meaningful technology into the curriculum. Web 2.0 provides a myriad of tools which can be overwhelming. One major benefit of the blog assignments over the past two weeks has been the introduction of awesome Web 2.0 tools by my EMDT program colleagues. I love hearing about tools that they use in their classes and how I might also incorporate them into my own classes and introduce them to my colleagues at my school. I hope to provide insight into a tool or two myself.
Already I have introduced...


to my faculty. I loved that different teachers felt comfortable with different tools and eagerly found ways to incorporate them into their classes. I even had a colleague introduce me to an unfamiliar Web 2.0 tool that I can see would have great value in many classroom settings.


Study Blue is a virtual flashcard system. Students can practice studying vocabulary and content stored on the web, accessible where ever they are...even on their phones!




Different types of files can be uploaded... flashcards, notes, or other study files. There is a teacher blog that also is a collaborative sharing platform where you can learn about how other educators are using this tool in their classroom. One teacher shared how her students play "hot potato" with their iPads...basically pass the iPad and answer as many vocabulary terms as possible. When a mistake is made the iPad gets passed on to the next student. I am sure the students find this to be a fun and educational game. I can't wait to get my students connected to this tool.



 Study Blue is not only connected to the students through their phones or iPads, but they can also connect to their Evernote account and share study materials through Facebook or Twitter.

Students are also encouraged to send themselves automated reminders to study. They can send this directly to their phone or post an "I'm studying" message to their Facebook account. It's just like the teacher or parent being there to say, "Honey, are you ready for your biology quiz tomorrow?" Now that is a priceless, free Web 2.0 tool!

2 comments:

  1. Rebecca,
    We must be channeling the same Chi this week. I also found a similar Web 2.0 product, Quizlet.com, and will be introducing it to my class this week. I was thinking about how to bring mobile phones into the mix, since they all seem to have them. One of the issues I faced was that despite it seeming so, not all students have smartphones or bring them every day. So I loved the idea you expressed above to play Hot Potato! Brilliant! I think I'll modify it, since I have a high performing group of seniors. I will eventually have to create 3 or 4 quiz sets. Then, have 3-4 phone load one of the quizzes. Then, have them start at different places around the circle of students. Students answer, then pass the phone to the right. Since each of the four phones will have a quiz from a different section of the chapter, they will be quite challenged to get everything correct.

    Another reason I love this idea: It gets around the problem I have in that all the computer labs are taken during my period of History class, and I've been frustrated in not being able to use all the awesome tools and tricks I've learned here at Full Sail. And also, the BBL potential for using smartphones and making studying and learning a big game for the students - priceless.

    Finally, I like your priceless comment about the interaction of Facebook into studying. I have been looking for ways to better utilize Moodle, our online educational platform. With Quizlet.com and Studyblue, I think I can make Moodle for me and my students! Awesome.

    Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This tool is great because any class could incorporate it, even related arts, like me! I think our third and fourth grade teachers will love the flash card part. Some of our students are struggling with their multiplication facts. We all know how important that will be for them in their lives. This could be another tool to help reinforce and practice the concepts. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete