Tuesday, October 25, 2011

BP1_Welcome to my blog

The human brain...the most powerful machine on the planet. It is capable of amazing feats of creativity and flexibility. This mass of grey and white matter composes about 2% of a human's body mass. It sets humans apart from all the rest in the animal kingdom, yet, so little is understood about how the brain works.

As a teacher, everyday I affect the brains of my students. My goal is always to help them grow, develop, mature, learn, create, and understand. I do not take this job lightly. I know that each experience in my room leaves an impression, one that may have a lasting effect long after they have left my class and moved on to college and beyond. They may not remember the particulars of the reactions of photosynthesis or be able to diagram the process of protein synthesis, but I know that their brains will be changed forever, for better or worse. Knowing this pushes me to learn more about the brain, to find out how to engage my students in meaningful daily exercises, to unlock the natural desire in my students' brains to inquire, question, solve, and discover.

I share this as my beginning so that you can learn a bit about me, what drives me, what inspires me, why, like you, I would undertake this accelerated masters program. This journey has already been fast and furious. I have to remind myself to take a breath and slow down long enough to notice the changes that have occurred since starting EMDT. These are changes in the choices I have made in my classes for assignments, activities, presentations, communications and more. Not only have these changes impacted my students, but they have changed me. As I continue on my quest to engage and motivate my students, I find that I am becoming more engaged in the process. My brain is alive with creative ideas that are bound to leave a lasting impression on all those who join me on this adventure...maybe even you...

1 comment:

  1. What an honor... the first post!!! For once I'm first at something! :)

    Nice design, very much like your WordPress site... love it! Well, it seems we have similar directions... AR... BBL... TLR (the lit review... ha!)... and NGES (not getting enough sleep)!!!

    Can't wait to see all your amazing posts soon! Let the symbiosis begin! :)

    Neo

    ReplyDelete